5 best practices for employer-sponsored worksite flu shot events
Each year, seasonal flu causes $10.4 billion in direct medical expenses and an additional $16.3 billion in lost productivity, so it’s easy to see why more employers are offering worksite flu vaccinations.1 In fact, during the early part of the 2017/2018 flu season, 17% of American adults who received a flu vaccine did so at a place of employment.2 This made workplaces the third most common vaccination site, behind medical facilities (like doctors’ offices) and retail locations (like commercial pharmacies).
But, there are some rules of the road to follow when planning for worksite flu vaccination events. Here are our top 5 best practices:
- Select an optimal event date: Third and fourth quarter can be packed with initiatives, like open enrollment, budget planning, and holiday events. When selecting a date for your onsite flu shot event, ensure that the event does not conflict with other events at the location.
- Communicate effectively: Get the word out about your event in multiple ways: send emails, hang up posters, etc. Additionally, be sure that your communications are concise; only include 1 call-to-action—scheduling a flu shot appointment—in each communication.
- Don’t combine flu and biometric screening events: Hosting standalone flu shot events improves the participant experience. Flu shots and biometric screenings are managed separately, and have separate staffing, so holding them at the same event can be disjointed and lead to participant confusion, especially if participants cannot secure adjacent timeslots for their flu shot and screening. Additionally, holding flu shot and wellness screening events on separate days allows you to communicate about each event individually, and give both of these important wellness initiatives the full attention they deserve.
- Make scheduling easy: Allowing participants to sign up for a time slot online or over the phone can help boost participation, and help participants to schedule their appointment at a time that fits in with their day-to-day activities. Online and telephonic scheduling also reduces the need for paperwork at flu shot events, making the event run more efficiently.
- Supplement with vouchers for local retailers: Not every employee will be able to attend an onsite flu shot event. Supplementing your flu shot offering with vouchers for flu shots at local retailers enhances the benefit and allows all employees to participate.
What’s new in the 2018/2019 flu season for Quest Diagnostics Health & Wellness?
- This year, Quest Diagnostics Health & Wellness will be partnering with Maxim Healthcare for onsite flu events in all states. A Quest Diagnostics representative will be the day-to-day contact for event implementation, but Maxim Healthcare will be working with Quest Diagnostics to supply vaccines and staff the events.
- Again in 2018, we will only be offering the quadrivalent vaccine.
- The Quest Diagnostics Health & Wellness participant platform has an updated look and feel with responsive design, making scheduling seamless on mobile devices.
To learn more about flu shot offerings from Quest Diagnostics Health & Wellness, contact us.
Insights from Quest Diagnostics
Sign up to receive the latest news and insights about health and well-being.
Thanks for signing up!
You’re all set to begin receiving white papers from Quest Diagnostics.