COVID-19 Testing for Employees & Employers
Give employees knowledge when returning to the workplace.
Quest Diagnostics offers a nationwide employer population health program to help employers streamline workforce SARS-Cov-2 (COVID-19) testing and care for their employees. Offering molecular and/or antibody testing provides employees the knowledge they need about their COVID-19 status and may help employees feel more confident as they return to work.
Tell us more about your organization so we can help you implement the best SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) testing solutions for your population.
Quest Return-to-work SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) testing and screening options
- Molecular testing
- A Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) for SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
- This testing looks for viral RNA in a nasal swab specimen
- A positive result indicates an active infection
- Antibody testing
- SARS-CoV-2 IgG testing
- Specimen collected via a venipuncture blood draw
- A result considered positive may suggest immunity after resolution of primary infection, but the relationship between IgG positivity and immunity to SARS-CoV- 2 is unknown.
- Temperature checks
- On-site temperature screenings provided by Quest Diagnostics staff
- Quest provides thermometers and personal protective equipment
- Employers must work with their HR and EH&S teams to develop a triage protocol so that employees have clear direction on what to do if they have a fever or meet other risk criteria
What is a NAAT for COVID-19?
The molecular test for SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) from Quest Diagnostics is a reverse Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) test that looks for the presence of viral RNA in a respiratory specimen. Individuals complete an upper respiratory self-collection for this test, and specimens are sent to a Quest Diagnostics lab for processing. Employers are able to offer the following collection methods for NAAT for COVID-19:
- Observed self-collection at Walmart® Neighborhood Markets
- Unobserved at-home self collection, with materials sent directly to employees’ homes
- Observed work site collection available for locations with over 100 employee participants
What is an antibody COVID-19 test?
An antibody (also known as an immunoglobulin) is part of our body’s response to a foreign molecule or pathogen (also known as an antigen) such as a virus or bacterium. This is valuable to fight off infection. Protective antibodies can provide immunity, so we do not become reinfected with the same viruses or bacteria. Antibodies are vital for our health. The protection antibodies provide may last a lifetime, or only a matter of months. And we don’t always develop antibodies—or the right antibodies in sufficient quantity—to fight off all infectious diseases. It is not yet known how much protection the SARS-CoV-2 antibodies may provide, or for how long.
Quest Diagnostics offers antibody testing for COVID-19 that is completed through a traditional venipuncture blood draw. Employers can offer antibody testing as part of routine biometric screening programs, with the availability for on-site collection and collection at Quest Diagnostics Patient Service Centers.
Why choose Quest Diagnostics for workforce COVID-19 testing
Quest is committed to delivering quality diagnostic insights and supporting the effort to fight COVID-19.
The active infection tests (NAAT) currently performed by Quest have been validated for FDA Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the current pandemic. However, no COVID-19 active infection tests have clinical sensitivity and specificity data at this time. Learn more about the analytical validation studies to earn FDA EUA designation.
The antibody tests currently offered by Quest Diagnostics have specificity values of 99.6% to 100% which keeps false positive results to a minimum. The antibody test sensitivity values are approximately 90% to 100%. Quest’s antibody tests have met robust validation standards and have been granted Emergency Use Authorizations (EUA) by the FDA for public health and clinical use.
Additionally, Quest verifies the tests using strict criteria for precision, reproducibility, accuracy, method comparison, cross-reactivity, and clinical performance.
If you are interested in workforce COVID-19 testing, please fill in this form to tell us more about your organization.
Start employee COVID-19 testing with Quest Diagnostics
Quest has developed a variety of COVID-19 molecular testing options to meet the needs of employers nationwide. Our Return-to-work COVID-19 testing solutions can help you:
- Follow federal and state health and safety guidelines
- Keep doors open during the pandemic
- Help speed up time to return productivity back to pre-pandemic levels
- Instill confidence in employees that they work for an employer dedicated to employee health and safety
If you are interested in learning more about implementing a COVID-19 employee testing program with Quest Diagnostics, fill in this form.
The antibody tests (sometimes known as the serology tests or IgG tests) are intended for use as an aid in identifying individuals with an adaptive immune response to SARS-CoV-2, indicating recent or prior infection. Results are for the detection of SARS CoV-2 antibodies. IgG antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 are generally detectable in blood several days after initial infection, although the duration of time antibodies are present post-infection is not well characterized. At this time, it is unknown for how long antibodies persist following infection and if the presence of antibodies confers protective immunity. Individuals may have detectable virus present for several weeks following seroconversion. Negative results do not preclude acute SARS-CoV-2 infection. If acute infection is suspected, molecular testing for SARSCoV-2 is necessary. The antibody test should not be used to diagnose acute SARS-CoV-2 infection. False positive results for the antibody test may occur due to cross-reactivity from pre-existing antibodies or other possible causes.
· The antibody tests and the molecular tests (together “All tests”) have not been FDA cleared or approved;
· All tests have been authorized by FDA under EUAs for use by authorized laboratories;
· The antibody tests have been authorized only for the detection of IgG antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, not for any other viruses or pathogens;
· The molecular tests have been authorized only for the detection of nucleic acid from SARSCoV-2, not for any other viruses or pathogens; and,
· All tests are only authorized for the duration of the declaration that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of emergency use of in vitro diagnostics for detection and/or diagnosis of COVID-19 under Section 564(b)(1) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 360bbb-3(b)(1), unless the authorization is terminated or revoked sooner.
FAQs for employers
Have questions about COVID-19 employee testing? Read our frequently asked questions.
Download the Product Highlights sheet to learn more about our Go-to-work temperature check offering.